This lesson continues on from Poetry lesson 1. Students were able to choose a type of poem to write about the topic Antarctica. This lesson also focuses on spelling, grammar, punctuation, editing and publishing.
Australian Curriculum Links:
For more links – Search Here
- Year 6 – Identify the relationship between words, sounds, imagery and language patterns in narratives and poetry such as ballads, limericks and free verse(ACELT1617)
- Year 6 – Understand that cohesive links can be made in textsby omitting or replacing words (ACELA1520)
- Year 6 – Use interaction skills, varying conventions of spoken interactions such as voice volume, tone, pitch and pace, according to group size, formality of interaction and needs and expertise of the audience(ACELY1816)
- Understand how noun groups/phrases and adjective groups/phrases can be expanded in a variety of ways to provide a fuller description of the person, place, thing or idea – ACELA1508
- Ask: What is poetry? What types of poetry have we been looking at? What type of poetry have you chosen for your Antarctica poem?
- Show students a completed poem on Antarctica. Antarctica poem example
- Go through with class and edit poem. Grammar and spelling.
- Students continue writing their poems on Antarctica
- Once students have finished their poem, get them to edit it in red pen and give to teacher to check.Students type up poem on computer:*add border
*make the nouns bold
*Make words of poem sit in the middle of the page
*leave room on the bottom of the page to draw a picture relating to the poem
- Once poems have been printed out, draw a picture on the bottom relating to the poem itself.
- Extension activity: Write a haiku on the topic of schoolOR
Create a shape poem on:
*snake (can choose any topic)
- Have students chosen a type of poem looked at during last lesson?
- Have they followed the correct structure of the poem?
- Is the poem about Antarctica?
- Is all grammar, spelling and punctuation correct?
- Smart board
- Antarctica poem
- Red pen
- Coloured pencils
- Work book