Summary of Literacy Centre Activities:
This literacy learning centre is aimed at teaching a Year 3 class about compound words. The centre is literature based and is themed around the book “Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs” by Judi Barrett.
The learning centre is structured around 4 main learning activities. Within each activity students are provided with explicit and detailed instructions to be able to work effectively on their own as well as in partners.
The activities can be easily adapted to cater for diversity within a classroom and can be modified for other year levels.
Australian Curriculum Links for Literacy Centre Activities:
- ACELA1485 – Understand how to use sound-letter relationships and knowledge of spelling rules, compound words, prefixes, suffixes, morphemes and less common letter combinations, for example ‘tion’.
Literacy Centre Activities:
Please click on the following links to download the literacy centre activities based on Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs:
- Learning Centre Rules (DOC)
- Compound Words Display Poster (DOC)
- Compound Words Activity Cards for Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (DOC)
- Compound Words Record Sheet (Activity One) (DOC)
- Compound Words in Pictures (Activity Two) (DOC)
- Compound Words – Create a Menu (Activity Three) (DOC)
- Compound Words – Create a weather forecast (Activity Four) (DOC)
If you like this lesson plan, or have an idea to improve it, please consider sharing it on Twitter, Pinterest and Facebook or leave a comment below.