In this lesson students will try and solve a real life problem which will require them to design a competition where every team plays each other once.
Australian Curriculum Links:
- Continue and create sequences involving whole numbers, fractions and decimals. Describe the rule used to create the sequence (ACMNA133)
- Say to the students, Each year Andrew Demetriou and his team are in charge of designing the AFL fixture. Today you will have a similar role to play.
- Introduce the problem, “there are 21 teams who wish to compete in our dice football competition”- Your task, working in 2’s or 3’s is to design a football draw where each team plays each other once as well as each team gets a bye.
- This task may seem simple where students go 1 v 2, 3 v4, 5 v 6 etc. Butt hey will soon encounter some problems along the way.
- After some frustrations occurring, break down the problem and invite students to share their strategies.
- Teacher should be roaming around offering support to students.
- Talk to the students about the process and how to solve the problem rather than the process.
- Discuss what patterns are occurring. Can you see something?
- Anecdotal Notes- But mostly focus on the process rather than the outcome.
- Maths Books