This lesson is based on prefix and suffixes. Students will identify base words and explain how prefixes and suffixes change words and their meanings. This lesson is aimed at year 3-4.
Australian Curriculum Links:
- Year 2 – Recognise common prefixes and suffixes and how they change a word’s meaning. ACELA1472
- Year 2 – Joining discussion about how a prefix or suffix affects meaning, for example uncomfortable, older, and division. ELBE764
- Year 3 – Understand how to use sound–letter relationships and knowledge of spelling rules, compound words, prefixes, suffixes, morphemes and less common letter combinations, for example ‘tion’ ACELA1485
- Year 5 – Understand how to use banks of known words, as well as word origins, prefixes and suffixes, to learn and spell new words ACELA1513
- Read through information on smartboard: http://www.studyzone.org/testprep/ela4/o/wordstructures4l.cfm
- Discuss information on board
- Write down meaning of words
- Play smartboard game on prefix and suffix.http://www.oswego.org/ocsd-web/match/matchgeneric.asp?filename=jwildeprefix2http://www.funenglishgames.com/grammargames/prefixsuffix.html
- Model worksheet
- Students work through worksheet. Can work with person beside them if they need help.
- Early finishers: get students to write a list of prefix and suffixes on the back of the worksheet or in workbook.
- Check work sample that students have completed.
- Can choose worksheet from this website which is suited to class and level: http://www.firstschoolyears.com/literacy/word/other/prefixes/prefixes.htm