In this lesson, students will play a modified game of Kanga Cricket in which they obtain data, present it and then analyse what they see. This is a great way to engage students in maths, especially boys.
Australian Curriculum Links:
- Interpret and compare a range of data displays, including side-by-side column graphs for two categorical variables (ACMSP147)
- Make connections between equivalent fractions, decimals and percentages (ACMNA131)
- Construct and compare a range of data displays including stem-and-leaf plots and dot plots (ACMSP170)
- Calculate mean, median, mode and range for sets of data. Interpret these statistics in the context of data (ACMSP171)
Introduce the lesson as we are going to play a game of Kanga 10’s and record the scores and then translate this into graphs and data.
- Give students a copy of the scorecard and explain how it works. (It helps if you have already picked the teams so that they know who thy are batting with etc.) Model how to score by simulating runs, 4’s, 6’s etc.
- Head outside and play a ame of Kanga 10’s, the batting team will be required to fill in the scorecard as they go!
- Once both teams have played, head back inside and make sure that all the scorecards say the same thing.
- Now you can transfer this into representing the data.
- (What I did) Model to the students a variety of ways to display the data, (such as pie charts, stem and leaf plots)
- Say to the students that they need to respresent this data using 4 different types of graphs. Yes they can decorate and colour them at the end.
- Next, reiterate to the students how to caluclate the mean, median and mode as well as the range. **Great opportunity to talk about why these are important.
- As an extension: You can analyse the data by posing questions: Who was the most effective pair? What was the lowest/highest score?
- Give students the opportunity to share their learning as a presentation up the front.
- Work Samples
- Maths Journal
- Kanga 10’s equipment- Bats, balls, stumps, cones
- Scorecard Kanga 10’s Scorecard
- A3 paper