Australian Curriculum Links:
- Recognise and explain the connection between addition and subtraction (ACMNA054)
- Apply place value to partition, rearrange and regroup numbers to at least tens of thousands to assist calculations and solve problems (ACMNA073)
- Solve simple addition and subtraction problems using a range of efficient mental and written strategies (ACMNA030)
- Select and apply efficient mental and written strategies and appropriate digital technologies to solve problems involving all four operations with whole numbers (ACMNA123)
- Recap with your students a variety of ways to add numbers together such 9 + 5 by practicing your bridging to 10 strategies.
- While you work with a group on the floor, students will partner up and follow these instructions which can be found on the mats template.
1. Shuffle your deck of cards
2. Place down a card in each of the squares (or whichever column you would like to go up to
3. Write out the addition sum you have made in your book or paper and complete the sum showing all workings out.
- Give students the opportunity to teach the class and share their addition strategies which they use!
- Work samples
- Addition– Mats to place cards on
- Deck of cards, Remove King, Queen, Jack, Joker