Summary of Lesson Plan:
Australian Curriculum Links:
- The extension of settlement, including the effects of contact (intended and unintended) between European settlers in Australia and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples (ACDSEH020)
Understand the landscape in terms of the Aboriginal population in Australia before 1788.
Lesson Plan Sequence:
Sequence of lesson:
- Take 5 minutes to introduce new unit of work to students and outline next 6 weeks of work on the whiteboard. (5 minutes) See Australian History Unit
- Hand out blank map of Europe to students. Have them colour map according to following three criteria; Language spoken, Religion and Conflicts with nations around them. Discuss results when finished. (20 minutes)
- Hand out map of aboriginal language groups in Australia (http://www.abc.net.au/indigenous/map/). Have students write a 75 word response comparing this map with their own maps of Europe. (20 minutes) Stick both maps in workbooks.
- Think pair share activity between students comparing their maps. Eventually create bigger groups with the class until you manage a whole class discussion. (15 minutes)
Internet research task of one of the language groups around your own area. Be prepared to discuss this in the next class.
(map of Australian aboriginal language groups)
- Coloured pencils/ textas
- Blank map of Europe
- Aboriginal language map of Australia (link provided)
If you like this lesson, or have an idea to improve it, please consider sharing it on Twitter and Facebook or leave a comment below.