Summary of Lesson Plan:
Australian Curriculum Links:
Lesson Plan Sequence:
- Complete a think/pair/ share to gain an understanding of student’s knowledge regarding life in medieval times. Collate class mindmap and have students copy into their books (10-15 minutes)
- Complete a source analysis on an image from before the start of Industrial Revolution. Find an image relevant to your class and what you wish to focus on in the unit of work. Suggestions include images of steam engines, agricultural villages and factories going up. (15 minutes)
- Discuss the creation of the steam engine. Complete a PMI table to discuss the implications that this piece of equipment had on the event. Outline the environment needed and how this changed from water mills, traditional farming practice. (10 minutes)
- Have students go to http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/british/victorians/launch_gms_cotton_millionaire.shtml and spend rest of lesson going through the scenario’s. If access to computers is an issue, go through the website as a class and have the group make decision on what steps to take.
Extension activity – watch episode of Tony Robinsons worst jobs in history – industrial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJQbsKPW30w and develop a profile for one of the jobs showcased in the episode
- Short informative report (could be a blog, wiki, website, poster, power point) on a job during the Industrial Revolution, focusing on working conditions and how improvements in technology changed this job, for better or worse.
- Printout of images for source analysis
- Tony Robinsons Worst Jobs- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJQbsKPW30w
- BBC cotton millionaire game – http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/british/victorians/launch_gms_cotton_millionaire.shtml
If you like this lesson plan, or have an idea to improve it, please consider sharing it on Twitter and Facebook or leave a comment below.