Summary of lesson plan:
Students will analyse an Aboriginal Image. They will use their detective skills to work out what is happening in each image. This lesson helps to develop students understanding in Aboriginal culture as well as allowing them to practice their writing skills.
Australian Curriculum Links:
- ACELA1496: Explore the effect of choices when framing an image, placement of elements in the image, and salience on composition of still and moving images in a range of types of texts.
- ACELY1692: Use comprehension strategies to build literal and inferred meaning to expand content knowledge, integrating and linking ideas and analysing and evaluating texts.
Lesson plan sequence:
- Display the Aboriginal Images PowerPoint.
- Question: How did the song make you feel? What did you notice in the pictures?
- Display one of the Aboriginal Images on the Smart board. Have students contribute to class discussion by answering the following questions.
- Describe what you can see. Who could these people be? Where are they? What are they doing? How would you feel if you were there? How does the photo make you feel?
- Focus on students giving detailed descriptions and explaining their reasoning.
- Provide each student with a different image. They will glue the image into their English books and will write a response using the above questions.
- Upon completion have them form a group with the students that had the same image as them. They will discuss and share their finding.
- Students then present their findings to the class and will outline what they noticed in the image.
- Allow other students to ask questions about the other images in the class.
- Extension activities: Students can create a freeze frame for their image.
- Collect and mark student’s English books. Form anecdotal notes on their ability to answer the questions and if they could accurately describe their image.
- Students can complete a self-assessment/reflection using the playground slide image. Climbing the ladder has them describing what they found challenging during the task. Sliding down the slide will have them describing what they found easy during the task.
- Aboriginal Images (DOCX)
- Aboriginal Images Powerpoint (PPT)
- Playground slide reflection (DOCX)
- Aboriginal Culture Image References (DOCX)
If you like this lesson plan, or have an idea to improve it, please consider sharing it on Twitter and Facebook or leave a comment below.