In preparation for the making of a film, students will create a storyboard that conveys a typical day in the Year 3 classroom. The lesson was authentic in its real world context, as the video was intended to be displayed on the school website.
Australian Curriculum Links:
Media Arts – Year 3/4:
- Creating a sequence of images, sounds and text or a combination of these to clearly establish the beginning middle and end of a story or event. (4.1.1)
- Inform students a video promoting Year 3 has to go on the school website.
- Brainstorm the important conventions to include in a film (text, sound, images)
- Scribe the answers on the butchers paper, display so all students can see.
- Recap how to fill in a storyboard.
- Put students in groups. Assign which groups will be filming the beginning/middle/end of the school day. Each section is only to be 1 minute long.
- Students brainstorm what aspects of the Year 3 classroom they want to showcase.
- Students complete storyboard in their groups (See Resources).
- Groups complete the media checklist and attach to their storyboard template (See Resources).
- Students share their storyboards in sequential order to the class
- Informal assessment for learning: Check storyboards as students are working on them the ensure students are using sound, text and images on storyboards.
- Our Classon Camera StoryBoard (A4) (Doc)
- Our Classon Camera Media Checklist (A4)
- Large sheet of butchers paper for writing of media conventions
If you like this lesson, or have an idea to improve it, please consider sharing it on Twitter, Pinterest and Facebook or leave a comment below.