After playing an interactive game online, students explore the concept of multiplying with a 2-digit number. Initially the teacher models with MAB and on the board using a grid and then the students go off and continue working.
Australian Curriculum Links:
Orientation 5 minutes
- Focus: Students attention to game on board.
- Engage: Play multiplication game to check students’ level of understanding http://www.math-play.com/one-digit-by-two-digit-multiplication-game.html
- Access: Who knows how to multiply by 2-digit numbers?
- Demonstrate multiplication by 2-digit numbers on whiteboard. Explain how this is similar to the trading we use in addition.
- Play game to further enhance student understanding about multiplication by 2-digit numbers. http://www.math-play.com/one-digit-by-two-digit-multiplication-game.html
- Students demonstrate their understanding of multiplication by 2-digit numbers by attempting to complete a worksheet.
- Extend: Students assist their peers who require support.
- Support: Teacher assists those who are having difficulty.
Reflection 5 minutes
- Share/Explain/Justify: Share answers so whole class can check their answers.
- Reflect: Let those who got questions wrong discuss where they made a mistake.
- Consolidate: Explain to student that it is tricky not to get trading in addition, subtraction and multiplication mixed up. How can we overcome this complication?
- Challenge/Extend: Who thinks they can multiply by a 3-digit number?
- Observation and product analysis
- 2 Digit Multiplication Worksheets
- MAB to model
- Whiteboard and markers
- http://www.math-play.com/one-digit-by-two-digit-multiplication-game.html (External Link)
If you like this lesson, or have an idea to improve it, please consider sharing it on Twitter, Pinterest and Facebook or leave a comment below.