Australian Curriculum Links:
- Recall addition facts for single-digit numbers and related subtraction facts to develop increasingly efficient mental strategies for computation (ACMNA055)
Maths Lesson Plan:
Orientation 5 minutes
- Focus: Students’ attention to board
- Engage: Play subtraction song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvsEbrWV00E
- Access: “Why is important to learn mental strategies to solve problems?” “What are mental strategies?”
Guided Discovery 15 mins
- Have the class sitting in a circle on the floor. Solve an algorithm using MAB blocks and the trading system. Ask questions to guide the class, such as ‘what do I do next?”
- Do the same algorithm on paper to enhance students’ understanding.
Exploration 20 mins
- Give students problems to solve students may use MAB blocks to help them solve the problems or simply use pencil and paper.
- Support: Students having difficulty may use MAB blocks and teacher assistance will be provided.
- Extend: Provide complex problems, such as subtraction with four digit numbers and subtraction across zeros.
Reflection 5 minutes
- Share/Explain/Justify: Share and explain answers
- Consolidate: Revise any confusion
- Reflect: Who found using MAB blocks was more helpful? Why/why not?
- Challenge/Extend: Who thinks they can now go on to more challenging problems?
- Observational checklists
- Anecdotal notes
- Guided Discovery Lesson http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkK9ryto258
- Extension- Subtraction across zeros http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCWfLrLirKQ
- Whiteboard Markers
If you like this maths lesson plan, or have an idea to improve it, please consider sharing it on Twitter, Pinterest and Facebook or leave a comment below.