Summary of Lesson Plan:
Australian Curriculum Links:
- Tell time to the minute and investigate the relationship between units of time (ACMMG062)
Lesson Plan Sequence:
In this lesson the learners will:
Understand how to use analogue clocks to tell the time including, quarter past, half past quarter to and o’clock.
Orientation 5 minutes
- Focus: Students attention to analogue clock.
- Engage: What do you think we are doing today?
- Access: Ask students what is this clock called?
Guided Discovery 10 mins
- Explain analogue clocks i.e. hour hand, minute hand, quarter past, half past, quarter to, o’clock (and how this relates to the fraction lesson from yesterday) and how to count the minutes.
- Guide students through work sheets. Do first question on each sheet (see below) with the class.
Exploration 10 mins
- Students explore telling the time using analogue clocks. Students complete a worksheet where they need to read the digital time and draw the hands on the clock.
- Students complete the second worksheet, which requires them to move specific minutes forwards or backwards from the given analogue time and write their answers in digital time.
Individualising 10 mins
- Extend: Extension worksheet
- Support: Work closely with students who are having difficulties.
Reflection 5 minutes
- Share/Explain/Justify Reflect: Share and correct answers.
- Consolidate: Discuss any misconceptions.
- Challenge/Extend: What is AM/PM?
- Using Anecdotal Notes, look for:
- Tells the time to the minute using Analogue clocks
- Records time in digital form
- More time worksheets from Math-Aids.Com
If you like this lesson plan, or have an idea to improve it, please consider sharing it on Twitter, Pinterest and Facebook or leave a comment below.
Feature image source: http://thirdfloorenglishe.weebly.com/uploads/1/6/7/0/16705196/7727127_orig.jpg