Summary of Lesson Plan:
Australian Curriculum Links:
- Daily and seasonal changes in our environment, including the weather, affect everyday life (ACSSU004)
- Science involves exploring and observing the world using the senses(ACSHE013)
- Respond to questions about familiar objects and events (ACSIS014)
- Explore and make observations by using the senses(ACSIS011)
- Engage in discussions about observations and use methods such as drawing to represent ideas (ACSIS233)
- Share observations and ideas (ACSIS012)
Prior Knowledge and Experience:
Students would have a range of weather experiences in different types of conditions. These experiences will be drawn upon throughout the lesson.
- For students to understand that with different weather different actions need to be taken.
- For students to understand that the weather is an important part of life.
Lesson Plan Sequence:
- Read the books I’m freezing by Shane McG. Ask some questions about the book and lead into…
- Explaining to the students that weather is important in everyone’s life. It can impact on the games that you play, the clothes you wear and many other things.
- Have the students look outside to see what the weather is looking like? Ask the students what they observe.
- Students will then engage in a class discussion on words that are associated with weather. Writing these words on a whiteboard/butchers paper. Words include; sun, wind, rain, clouds, hot, cold, freezing, warm, etc.
- Ask students how they feel in certain weather conditions to gain an understanding of how they understand the different weather terms.
- The students will complete a worksheet answering the following questions (Go through the worksheet while the students are attentive.
- Draw the type of clothes you would wear on a freezing cold morning?
- Draw what would you wear if the weather got hot?
- What games would you play on a rainy day?
- What games would you play on a sunny day?
- Have the students discuss again some of the ideas that they drew on their paper and show the pictures to the other students.
- Assess by looking at the pictures that the students draw and the response that they give in the original discussion time.
- Worksheet on weather (COMING SOON)
- Whiteboard and/or butchers paper
- Book – I’m freezing by Shane McG
If you like this lesson plan, or have an idea to improve it, please consider sharing it on Twitter, Pinterest and Facebook or leave a comment below.