Summary of Lesson Plan:
Australian Curriculum Links:
- Represent practical situations to model addition and sharing (ACMNA004)
Lesson Plan Sequence:
Mathematical Prior Learning:
- Count with one to one correspondence
- Able to represent numbers to 12 using symbols and pictures
- Introduced to sorting objects into groups of equal numbers
For students to:
- Share the cookies into equal groups
- Use the term ‘share’ to describe the distribution of cookies
- Record mathematical findings using pictures and symbols
Modifications for Stage 1:
Questioning to extend Working Mathematical focus:
- How many groups of cookies are there?
- How many cookies will they each have if two more children arrive at the door?
- Can you tell me how you worked that out?
- How do you know they are equal groups?
Through questioning techniques of strategies and student’s reasoning; observing conversations between peers; through viewing work sample – record of findings.
- ‘The Doorbell Rang’ by Pat Hutchins (can be purchased for $8 from ebay or bookdepository.com)
- Free Printable Cookie Tokens and Children (PDF)
If you like this lesson plan, or have an idea to improve it, please consider sharing it on Twitter, Pinterest and Facebook or leave a comment below.