Summary of Lesson Plan:
Australian Curriculum Links:
Year 1 Mathematics:
- Recognise and classify familiar two-dimensional shapes and three-dimensional objects using obvious features (ACMMG022)
Year 2 Mathematics:
- Describe and draw two-dimensional shapes, with and without digital technologies (ACMMG042)
Lesson Plan Sequence:
Mathematical Prior Learning:
- Can identify and name basic circles, squares, triangles and rectangles from visualisation, according to typical shape, size and orientation.
For students to:
- Identify basic circles, squares, triangles and rectangles in different orientations
- Describe the features of basic shapes
- Use technology to record and share findings
in the class library.
Modifications for Stage 2-3:
Questioning to extend Working Mathematical focus:
- What sort of shape is that? How do you know?
- What else do we know of that is the same shape?
- How is this shape different to the last shape?
Through questioning techniques of strategies and student’s reasoning; observing conversations between peers; through viewing work sample – photograph and reasoning on Smartboard.
- Printable 2D Shape Cards – set of 12 cards (see attached)
- Digital camera/iPad/etc
If you like this lesson plan, or have an idea to improve it, please consider sharing it on Twitter, Pinterest and Facebook or leave a comment below.
Feature image source: http://www.pleasantestthing.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/learning-shapes-activity.jpg