Summary of Unit:
In this unit of activities and lessons, students learn about 1 little boy’s adventures in making an arcade by utilising materials around his dad’s store. This amazing story shows just how important it is to let children create and design things of interest to them and is surely to leave you amazed at the learning that took place in his project. The unit also links to sustainability by reusing old materials found around the home, as well as many other curriculum areas.
Thanks to Joanne Villis from Intertech Education for sharing this!
Australian Curriculum Links:
Year 5/6 Technologies: Design Technologies
- Generate, develop, communicate and document design ideas and processes for audiences using appropriate technical terms and graphical representation techniques (ACTDEP025)
- Apply safe procedures when using a variety of materials, components, tools, equipment and techniques to make designed solutions (ACTDEP026)
- Negotiate criteria for success that include consideration of sustainability to evaluate design ideas, processes and solutions (ACTDEP027)
- Develop project plans that include consideration of resources when making designed solutions individually and collaboratively (ACTDEP028)
- Anecdotal notes on student work throughout the unit;
- Design Rubric;
- Material Investigation Rubric.
- Sticky notes
- A range of materials to be used in creating arcade games (students can search for them at home)
- iPad Apps:
- Youtube Video of Caine’s Arcade
If you like this lesson plan, or have an idea to improve it, please consider sharing it on Twitter, Pinterest and Facebook or leave a comment below.