Summary of Unit of Work:
Students explore two textual modes: a picture book and a video clip by the same author. Students are encouraged to compare and analyse the effectiveness of adjectives within these two text types. Learning activities include visual charts, group-discussion, individual synthesis, and peer-assessment. This highly interactive unit ends with students creating their own piece of expressive writing.
Australian Curriculum Links:
Year 3 English:
- Discuss how language is used to describe the setting in texts, and explore (ACELT1599)
- Discuss the nature and effects of some language devices used to enhance meaning and shape the reader’s reaction (ACELT1600)
Language for interaction:
- Learn extended and technical vocabulary including modal verbs and adverbs (ACELA1484)
- Examine how evaluative language can be varied to be more or less forceful (ACELA1477)
- Listen to and contribute to conversations and discussions to share information and ideas and negotiate in collaborative situations (ACELY1676)
- Plan, draft and publish imaginative texts demonstrating increasing control over language features (ACELY1682)
- Reread and edit text for meaning, grammatical choices and punctuation (ACELY1683)
Download the Unit of Work with Resources and Assessment Strategies Below:
If you like this lesson plan, or have an idea to improve it, please consider sharing it on Twitter, Pinterest and Facebook or leave a comment below.