Summary of Lesson Plans:
In this sequence of lessons, students learn all about the 6 essential nutrients and the role of food in our bodies. They then do a fun and practical activity to reproduce an Asian pork salad recipe, where they identify the nutritional quality of each ingredient. There is also a mix and match card activity for those who finish early.
Australian Curriculum Links:
Year 9 & 10 Design and Technologies
- Investigate and make judgments on how the principles of food safety, reservation, preparation, presentation and sensory perceptions influence the creation of food solutions for healthy eating (ACTDEK045)
- Work flexibly to safely test, select, justify and use appropriate technologies and processes to make designed solutions (ACTDEP050)
Students are given both handout sheets and work sheets.
Initially the teacher will introduce the lesson and assess students prior knowledge and understanding by asking questions such as:
- Why is it important to eat a variety of healthy foods?
- What are nutrients?
- What are the 6 essential nutrients?
Teacher then chooses random students to read each paragraph of the handout sheet ‘The 6 essential nutrients’. After briefly discussing each nutrient group, students complete the short answer response questions for ‘The 6 Essential Nutrients’.
After discussing the answers for the previous worksheet, the teacher then outlines and provides background information about the 3 main functions of food in the body:
- Growth and development
- Provide energy
- Protect and regulate body processes
Students are then guided to complete the worksheet ‘Food Nutrient Groups’
Students participate in a practical activity and prepare and produce Asian Pork Salad. After the experience, students must indicate what nutrients are present in each of the ingredients by ticking the initials that correspond with the nutrient.
Extension or assessment – Mix and match nutrition cards are presented to students. – Students use the mix and match activity cards to illustrate their understanding of the 6 essential nutrients and their sources (ACTDEK045)
- Observation of students demonstrating Safety in the Technology Kitchen (ACTDEP050)
- Student worksheets are assessed by teacher and students are given feedback (ACTDEK045)
- Literacy testing of students reading and comprehension (ACTDEK045)
- Students use the mix and match activity cards to illustrate their understanding of the 6 essential nutrients and their sources (ACTDEK045)
- The 6 Nutrients Worksheets (DOCX)
- Asian Pork Salad Recipe (DOCX)
- School kitchens and equipment
- Ingredients for practical activity
- Mix and Match – Nutrition Matching Cards Activity (DOCX)
If you like this lesson plan, or have an idea to improve it, please consider sharing it on Twitter, Pinterest and Facebook or leave a comment below.