Summary of Unit of Work:
The focus of this unit is to integrate Geography & Mathematics lessons enabling students to understand travel factors and perspectives. Students create their own overseas vacation using a range of sources (websites, travel brochures etc.) and gain an understanding of the mathematical processes involved with travel. Students enhance Mathematical skills of calculating, designing, problem solving, estimating, creating budgets, sales & percentages, measurement of time and distance. Students will also draw on geographical skills in order to learn about the culture of their destination.
Australian Curriculum Links:
Year 5 Geography:
- ACHGK026 The location of the major countries of Europe and North America in relation to Australia and the influence of people on the environmental characteristics of places in at least two countries from both continents.
Year 6 Geography:
- ACHGK031 The location of the major countries of the Asia region in relation to Australia and the geographical diversity within the region.
Year 5 Mathematics:
- ACMNA100 Number and place value: Solve problems involving multiplication of large numbers by one- or two-digit numbers using efficient mental, written strategies and appropriate digital technologies.
- ACMNA106 Money and financial mathematics: Create simple financial plans.
- ACMNA291 Number and place value: Use efficient mental and written strategies and apply appropriate digital technologies to solve problems.
- Pose questions and make predictions based on experience in similar situations.
- Reflect on mathematics and identify the contribution of mathematics to personal activities.
Year 6 Mathematics:
- ACMNA123 Number and place value: Select and apply efficient mental and written strategies and appropriate digital technologies to solve problems involving all four operations with whole numbers.
- ACMNA132 Money and financial mathematics: Investigate and calculate percentage discounts of 10%, 25% and 50% on sale items, with and without digital technologies.
Year 7 Mathematics:
- Money and financial mathematics: Investigate and calculate & best buys with and without digital technologies.
- ACMNA158 Real numbers: Find percentages of quantities and express one quantity as a percentage of another, with and without digital technologies.
- ACHGS048 Collect, select and record relevant geographical data and information, using ethical protocols, from appropriate primary and secondary sources.
Download Resources Below:
Mathematics and Geography Travel Project Unit(DOCX for Editing)
If you like this unit of lesson plans, or have an idea to improve it, please consider sharing it on Twitter, Pinterest and Facebook or leave a comment below.