Summary of Unit of Work:
“65% of children entering primary school today will work in jobs that don’t even exist yet, and 92% of future jobs will require digital skills” (Careers with Stem 2018).
It is a rapidly changing technological world we are living in and as educators we are trying to keep up-skilled to ensure we are passing on the most recent information to our students.
This unit of work gives students a chance to watch videos to help explain concepts and also to use hands on digital programs to understand coding and machine learning. Topics covered in this unit are; data, binary systems, binary codes, computer programming, coding, machine learning and artificial intelligence.
Artificial Intelligence (AI) is part of our day-to-day lives and those of our students. This unit helps students see how artificial intelligence has changed their lives and how it will affect their future.
Australian Curriculum Links:
Technologies – Digital Technologies
Year 3 and 4 – Digital Technologies Knowledge and Understanding
- Identify and explore a range of digital systems with peripheral devices for different purposes, and transmit different types of data (ACTDIK007
- Recognise different types of data and explore how the same data can be represented in different ways (ACTDIK008
Year 5 and 6 – Digital Technologies Knowledge and Understanding
- Examine the main components of common digital systems and how they may connect together to form networks to transmit data (ACTDIK014
- Examine how whole numbers are used to represent all data in digital systems (ACTDIK015
Year 3 and 4 – Digital Technologies Processes and Production Skills
- Collect, access and present different types of data using simple software to create information and solve problems (ACTDIP009
- Define simple problems, and describe and follow a sequence of steps and decisions (algorithms) needed to solve them (ACTDIP010
- Implement simple digital solutions as visual programs with algorithms involving branching (decisions) and user input (ACTDIP011
- Explain how student solutions and existing information systems meet common personal, school or community needs (ACTDIP012
- Plan, create and communicate ideas and information independently and with others, applying agreed ethical and social protocols (ACTDIP013
Year 5 and 6 – Digital Technologies Processes and Production Skills
- Acquire, store and validate different types of data, and use a range of software to interpret and visualise data to create information (ACTDIP016
- Define problems in terms of data and functional requirements drawing on previously solved problems (ACTDIP017
- Design a user interface for a digital system (ACTDIP018
- Design, modify and follow simple algorithms involving sequences of steps, branching, and iteration (repetition) (ACTDIP019
- Implement digital solutions as simple visual programs involving branching, iteration (repetition), and user input (ACTDIP020
- Explain how student solutions and existing information systems are sustainable and meet current and future local community needs (ACTDIP021
- Plan, create and communicate ideas and information, including collaboratively online, applying agreed ethical, social and technical protocols (ACTDIP022
**Depending on students’ prior knowledge and time spent on this unit will depend on the specific outcomes covered and achieved.**
Content Learning Intention
To understand artificial intelligence by extending students knowledge on binary codes, data, coding and helping them see into the future of artificial intelligence.
Language Learning Intention
To define words artificial intelligence, machine learning, coding, data and binary system.
Social Learning Intention
To discuss their knowledge in this area with students in a whole class setting and small groups.
- I can understand the terms artificial intelligence, machine learning, coding and data.
- I can use an artificial intelligence program such as Autodraw
- I can use a simple coding program
- I can explain artificial intelligence and machine learning to another person
- I know where I can go if I want extra information on artificial intelligence
The following slides are in the resource section and can be downloaded as both PDF and Slides.
- Slide 1 – Title page
- Slide 2 – Australian Curriculum
- Slide 3 – Learning Intentions and Success Criteria
- Slide 4 – Students’ definition of Artificial Intelligence as this stage
- Slide 5 – Artificial Intelligence definition
- Slide 6 – Learning progression – data, binary code, coding, machine learning, artificial intelligence
- Slide 7 – Data – What does the word data mean?
- Slide 8 – Binary System and making your own name in binary code
- Slide 9 – Computer Programming (Coding)
- Slide 10 – Technology in our world today
- Slide 11 – Digital Learning Glossary
- Slide 12 – I Wonder Wall
- Slide 13 – Machine Learning – Auto Draw
- Slide 14 – AI used in today’s society
- Slide 15 – Where will AI lead us next?
- Slide 16 – Thank you slide
- Compare the pre and post definition of ‘What is Artificial Intelligence?’
- Student’s definitions of technological terms
- Students engagement in the ‘I Wonder Wall’
- Oral presentation on an area of artificial intelligence
- Self-assessment using the success criteria
Download all of the unit-related resources below:
- Artificial Intelligence Unit of Work – Grades 3-6 (DOCX)
- Artificial Intelligence Powerpoint (PPTX)
- Artificial Intelligence Powerpoint as PDF
If you like this unit of lesson plans, or have an idea to improve it, please consider sharing it on Twitter, Pinterest and Facebook or leave a comment below.