Summary of Unit of Work:
In order for students to progress in mathematics they need a strong foundation in Place Value. Using the inquiry process; tuning in, finding out, sorting out, going further, making connections and taking action, students expand their knowledge on decimals.
The unit begins with a tuning in, involving a pre-test with opportunities to learn through asking questions, videos, games, hands-on material, songs and explicit teacher instruction. At the end of the unit the students plan how to use their new knowledge on decimals and also complete a self-assessment rubric.
Australian Curriculum Links:
Mathematics (Number and Algebra):
- Recognise, model, represent and order numbers to at least 1000 (ACMNA027
- Recognise, model, represent and order numbers to at least 10 000 (ACMNA052
- Recognise that the place value system can be extended to tenths and hundredths. Make connections between fractions and decimal notation (ACMNA079
- Recognise that the place value system can be extended beyond hundredths (ACMNA104
- Add and subtract decimals, with and without digital technologies, and use estimation and rounding to check the reasonableness of answers (ACMNA128
- Multiply decimals by whole numbers and perform divisions by non-zero whole numbers where the results are terminating decimals, with and without digital technologies (ACMNA129
- Multiply and divide decimals by powers of 10 (ACMNA130
- Make connections between equivalent fractions, decimals and percentages (ACMNA131
Learning Progression (PowerPoint/PDF in resource section below)
A brief outline of the PowerPoint:
- Pre-test which includes three sections
- A decimal is….
- Open-ended number line
- Answer and explain 0.42 x 10 =
- Video showing progression of learning from the ones place through to hundredths
- Definition of decimals
- Understanding our Base 10 system
- Vocabulary or Key Words Word Wall
- Decimats introduction
- Decimats game
- Decimals in our life
- Researching our wonderings
- How can we use our knowledge on decimals?
- Creating ideas and actions to share our knowledge
- Self-Assessment Rubric
- Tuning In (pre/post assessment)
Download all of the unit-related resources below:
- Decimal Unit Teacher Overview (DOCX)
- Decimals Inquiry Unit – Teacher Powerpoint (PPTX)
- Tuning In Decimals – Pre and Post Test (DOCX)
- Place Value Student Self Assessment Rubric (DOCX)
If you like this unit of lesson plans, or have an idea to improve it, please consider sharing it on Twitter, Pinterest and Facebook or leave a comment below.